- 6 oz chicken breasts, cooked and chopped
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 corn tortillas (6”), roughly chopped
- ½ C chopped red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 ounces low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ C chopped cilantro
- 1 jalapeno pepper (seeds removed), finely diced
- 2 C tomatoes finely diced
- ½ C low-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 C bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 t ground cumin
- 4oz skim milk
- 2oz light cheese
- Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat; add tortillas, onion, and garlic. Cook 5 minutes, or until onion and garlic are tender.
- Add broth, scraping bottom of pan to loosen any browned bits. Add beans,
- tomatoes, bell pepper, jalapeno, cilantro and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 25 to 30 minutes, or until flavors blend.
- Add chicken to pot and stir. Cook 5 minutes, or until chicken is heated. Remove pot from heat and stir in skim milk. Serve each portion topped with 1oz cheese.
Makes 2 servings, each serving counts as:
½ protein, 1 once daily starch, 1 fat, 2 condiments, 1 ½ dairy, 1 ½ vegetable